A Celebrity Nutritionist’s Guide To Managing Hypertension
Hypertension is often not taken seriously by enough, and it can lead to other chronic ailments over time. 1 in 5 people in India suffer from hypertension, and eating healthy is crucial to help manage symptoms of hypertension. Understand the optimal diet for hypertension with celebrity nutritionist Shweta Shah.
A WHO Factsheet on Hypertension in India reveals that only 12 per cent of people with hypertension have their blood pressure under control. The WHO defines hypertension as the blood pressure being too high within the body. Various factors can lead a person to develop hypertension, including:
- Unhealthy diet patterns like consuming an excessive amount of salt or sodium, saturated fats, and trans fat.
- Low intake of vegetables and fruits
- Regular alcohol and tobacco intake
- Being overweight or obese
- Family history of developing hypertension
- Ageing (those above 65 are more likely to develop hypertension)
- Having diabetes or kidney disease
Uncontrolled blood pressure is one of the main risk factors to cardiovascular diseases, according to WHO, and can impact the quality of your life. However, managing hypertension can be easy when you’re taking care of what you’re putting on your plate. Celebrity nutritionist Shweta Shah describes different precautions you should be taking and the perfect diet for hypertension.
Here are other videos by Shweta: